Frequently Asked Questions



How long can a drug be detected in one's system? 
You can view information about drug detection times in the "Pros and Cons of the Various Drug Testing Methods" table found in the ONDCP resource, What You Need to Know about Drug Testing in Schools. We also suggest you contact a drug testing facility directly for information and assistance.
Where can I find data on drug-related deaths?
Statistics on drug related deaths are available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's annual mortality report. Also, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's (SAMHSA's) annual medical examiner report features drug-related fatalities from selected areas across the United States. In addition to providing the total number of drug-related deaths in each area, the report provides the number of instances individual drugs are involved in drug deaths.
Where can I view information about methadone?
Please consult with your physician or treatment provider. You can also contact the following organizations for information:
·         American Association for the Treatment of Opioid Dependence
Phone: (212) 566–5555
How many juveniles use illegal drugs?
Information and statistics concerning juvenile drug use can be found in the following resources:
·         Monitoring the Future
I am a parent concerned about my child's drug use. Do you have resources that can assist me?
Resources designed to assist parents who are concerned about a child's drug use include: the ONDCP resource, Suspect Your Teen Is Using Drugs or Drinking? A Brief Guide to Action For Parents; the Partnership for a Drug-Free America (PDFA) resource, Helping Others with a Drug Problem; and A Family Guide to Keeping Youth Mentally Healthy and Drug-Free website.

Additionally, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) operates a telephone hotline and website to assist in locating drug treatment programs throughout the United States if this is something you feel you need. The hotline number is 800-662-HELP. To access program information via the Internet, please visit the Treatment Facility Locator website.
How can I help my friend if he/she is abusing drugs or alcohol?
The following websites and resources have been developed for individuals who are concerned about a friend's use of drugs:
Where can I view information about medical marijuana?
On April 20th, 2006, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued an Inter-Agency Advisory Regarding Claims Smoked Marijuana Is a Medicine concluding that no sound scientific studies have supported medical use of smoked marijuana for treatment in the United States, and no animal or human data support the safety or efficacy of smoked marijuana for general medical use. There are alternative FDA-approved medsications in existence for treatment of many of the proposed uses of smoked marijuana. For example, a prescription drug, Marinol, is currently available to anyone with a doctor's prescription. Marinol contains THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, and has been approved for some of the same uses as medicinal marijuana. To learn more about "medical marijuana," visit the following websites:
What is hemp?
Hemp products are derived from the cannabis plant. These cannabis products often contain the hallucinogenic substance tetrahydrocannabinols (THC). You can view information concerning hemp on the following websites:
Is information available on why marijuana remains an illegal substance?
The following resources provide information about marijuana and why it remains a controlled substance:
·         The DEA Position on Marijuana
How do I report a suspected meth lab?
To report a suspected meth lab, contact your local law enforcement agency (police department or sheriff's office). You may also notify your local Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) field office.
Where can I view state-specific data on methamphetamine?
You can view state-specific data on methamphetamine via the Substance Abuse and Use Data by State section of the Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) website, the Meth In Your State section of the MethResources website, as well as the State Factsheets and the Maps of Methamphetamine Lab Incidents sections of the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) website.
How should unused prescription drugs be disposed?
You can view information about the proper disposal of prescription drugs in the ONDCP Fact Sheet, Proper Disposal of Prescription Drugs.
How can I report drugs being sold on the Internet?
Please report the sale of drugs on the Internet or emails advertising the sale of drugs to the following agencies: the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3), the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Diversion Control Program, and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) (for prescription drugs). Additionally, the DEA has launched a toll-free international hotline to report the illegal sale and abuse of pharmaceutical drugs: 1-877-RxAbuse (1-877-792-2873). Finally, you may also anonymously report drug activity to the DEA via the DEA's Submit a Tip website.
Are prescription drug monitoring programs effective at controlling prescription drug abuse?
Information on the effectiveness of prescription drug monitoring programs is available in the U.S. Government Accountability Office report, Prescription Drugs: State Monitoring Programs Provide Useful Tool to Reduce Diversion and the Simeone Associates, Inc. report, Evaluation of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs. For additional information, visit the Alliance of States with Prescription Monitoring Programs website.
What is doping?
Doping is the use of a substance or method that is potentially harmful to an athlete's health and/or is capable of enhancing performance. It also refers to the presence in an athlete's body of a prohibited substance or evidence of the use of a prohibited method. The following publications and websites provide information on the use of steroids and performance-enhancing drugs:
·         Anabolic Steroid Abuse
·         Doping
·         Steroids Facts & Figures
Are resources available on the use of steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs by athletes?
Resources on the use of steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs by athletes can be found on the Drugs & Sports section of our website, in the World Anti-Doping Agency Annual Reports, and in the Anabolic Steroid Abuse Research Report produced by the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
What is the potential impact of using marijuana while pregnant?
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA): "Research has shown that babies born to women who used marijuana during their pregnancies display altered responses to visual stimuli, increased tremulousness, and a high-pitched cry, which may indicate problems with neurological development. During infancy and preschool years, marijuana-exposed children have been observed to have more behavioral problems and to perform tasks of visual perception, language comprehension, sustained attention, and memory more poorly than non-exposed children do. In school, these children are more likely to exhibit deficits in decision-making skills, memory, and the ability to remain attentive."
This information can be found in NIDA's Marijuana Abuse Research Report.
Are resources available on how to keep my daughter healthy and drug-free?
Resources on how to keep your daughter healthy and drug-free are available on the Girls & Drugs section of website. Additional parenting resources are available on the Advice section of website.


 Hookah Fact sheet

Click here to view fact sheet


Electronic cigarettes Fact sheet

Click here to view fact sheet